Wednesday 10 March 2010

There's nothing like a good book

I know that I promised that this blog would be an outlet for my make up rambles, reviews and general chit chat but as a total book worm and lover of reading, I wanted to tell you about some of my favourite books to date. I have read so many over the years and have to say that at certain times in my life, particularly when I was in a pretty bad relationship they became kind of a saviour of sorts. They were a place that I could escape to and when I was reading about either people going through similar situations or uplifting stories about how they came out of it the other side it really did give me hope. Thankfully I am now out of that situation but after a long stressful day at work there is still nothing better than curling with a good book!

The most recent book that I have read and absolutely loved was, The Return by Victoria Hislop. It is a wonderful book and although a little on the sad side it was ultimately a great read and very enlightening. I knew very little about the Spanish Civil War and the atrocities that faced the people of Spain during that period and now feel that I know a little more about Spain. The story is based around a girl retracing the life of a flamenco dancer and the positioning of the war and struggles that her family faced running next to it made for a fabulous storyline.

I don’t want to tell you too much about the story in case you want to read the book, but if you are looking for a page turner I can’t recommend this book highly enough. It is sad, thought provoking and reminds you how very lucky you are not to be living through the nightmare that so many people faced during the Civil War.

I was engrossed in the book for about ten days and am pretty sad to have finished it. I now have The Return on standby to read next, but as I start a new job next week I need to start preparing for that before I immerse myself in my next book!

I hope you are all having a good week xx

No comments:

Post a Comment